WordPress comes in two flavors.
Instant WordPress - WordPress.com Use the WordPress servers for free. Instant access.
- Build-Your-Own - WordPress.org If you have your own web space and need more control of your software you can download the WordPress software and install it on your server.
Both flavors are open-source and "free" (as in kittens).
Using WordPress.com go ahead and set up your blog by clicking on the "Get started here" button.
You will need to have:
The name for your blog.
- Keep it as short as possible
- No tricky spellings
- It will end with .wordpress.com unless you Build-Your-Own and install WordPress on your own server.
The username you want to use.
- If you can use something simple like: peterjohnson
- No punctuation allowed
- Only lower case letters
The password you want to use.
- Should have UPPER/lower, at least one number and one special character
- Idea: your first house number ! First pet's name
For example: 1234!Fido
Your email address
- Tip: Use a personal web mail address instead of a company address in case you change jobs.